Using Technology to Deepen Democracy, Using Democracy to Ensure Technology Benefits Us All

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Springing for Le Guin

Over the fall the last few months I took up the novels of Tariq Ali's The Islam Quintet and managed to finish them over the course of the term, more or less, and I was looking for a comparably rewarding project of side-reading for the spring: The arrival of a beautiful new two volume Library of America edition of Ursula Le Guin's Hainish works (not all of which I have read I am embarrassed to say, but a few of which I am very eager to read again while looking forward to the new ones). School starts next Friday, so I'm getting a bit of an early start on Rocannon's World, which I haven't read before but am already enjoying. (I'm still also reading snatches for work, I mentioned David Cousins Hoy's work on critical theory a little while ago, and I'm also looking at Puar's Right to Maim, which may be coming up in an independent study, and Nato Thompson's Living As Form: Socially Engaged Art from 1991-2011 as I think more about connections between art-making and theory-making and the building of clarity, agency, equity, and resistance.)

No comments: